Aug 08 2013

Security Development Lifecycle Training

Last year we tried to outsource our classroom-based training (CBT) for our SDL effort to a third party…that didn’t go so well. I don’t want to mention the name of the company we used but we were disappointed enough with the first round of the training and we decided to go our own route.  To that end I was tasked with creating the content for the training…and I have been heads down most of the time this year working on several classes:

  • Threat Modeling
  • Secure Coding in C and C++
  • Secure Coding C#

The Threat Modeling class has been completed (although it could stand to be updated and cleaned up a bit).  The Secure Coding in C and C++ class was completed but the feedback I got from my second group of attendees was that they’re doing development on the ARM processor platform and they wanted to see the exploits in the hands-on lab exercises on that platform.  The Secure Coding in C# is still being built out.

The good news is that I have been able to get a Debian Linux image built (with a GUI interface) for the Secure Coding in C and C++ class using the QEMU ARM emulator.  The next step is to setup the networking so that I can pull additional packages into the image and build out a complete development environment.  This has been driving me crazy for the past couple of months because the installer for the image and the QEMU disk image were constantly giving me problems.  Today was a “Good” day…

 

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply