Apr 30 2009

Office 2007 SP2 and Windows 7 Beta 2

Published by under Windows

I’ve been using Windows 7 Beta 2 for about 2 – 2 1/2 months now and it’s been wonderful. Compared to how Vista was on the Toshiba Laptop I installed it on, Windows 7 has been snappy, responsive, and downright fun to use. Office 2007 has been solid, stable and very responsive.

Then, yesterday, I installed Office 2007 SP2. I installed it not just on my Win 7 laptop but also on my Vista desktop. On my Vista desktop Office has been just as good as before. However, on my Win 7 laptop I’ve noticed that Outlook has developed a serious problem. Starting Outlook will spike the CPU to 100% utilization for no reason. On top of that when I exit Outlook, the process stays running in the process table and chews up the CPU as well. The only way to truly resolve the problem is to kill the Outlook process in Task Manager. This is definitely not a problem that I’m seeing in Vista.

My next step is to download and install the Windows 7 Release Candidate which Microsoft just released today and see if the problem persists. If so, it’s a bug that I’ll need to file. The only problem is that I’m having trouble logging into the MSDN site since everyone and his brother appears to be trying to download the RC ISO. Looks like I’ll have to wait until Sunday or so to download the ISO and rebuild my laptop.

No responses yet

Aug 27 2008

Rebuilding the VMware Server

My trusty VALinux Full-On 2240 system finally reached the point where I couldn’t use it. The system disk is fine with Ubuntu 08.04 on it. The problem was with the RAID array that I created using 3 36GB disks. That’s where I stored my VM images and one disk back in June began to have problems. Well, a few weeks ago a second disk began to have problems — wonderful. The issue is that I had it configured as a RAID as a RAID 0 array…just concatenating the three partitions together. Doing that I wasn’t just able to replace a single drive and reconstruct it. Now I had to replace two out of the three drives. Oh joy.

The first thing I needed to do was to “rescue” the VM images I had installed on the RAID array. I copied the images to my desktop system (it pays to have 500GB of available space for this) and saved them that way. Then I ordered 3 73.4GB Seagate ST173404LCV drives from PC Progress in Elk Grove Village, IL. The disks arrived on Monday and I installed them on Tuesday. This time, I built the RAID array using mdadm as a RAID 5 array so that if one of the disks goes south I can always pull it, put another 73.4GB disk in and rebuild the array easily. Now the only thing left to do is to restore the images to the server. Again…oh joy!

No responses yet